Re: python-2.1 for unstable?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:14:07PM -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
> > - new packages names python2.1-foobar
> >
> > - same package names, but add versioned dependencies: python-foobar (>= 2.1)
> >
> > The latter will cause some incompatibilities until all python2
> > dependent packages are uploaded for 2.1.
>
> I strongly prefer the latter.  If people want multiple versions
> of Python installed they can easily download the source and
> install them into /usr/local/bin.

I'd just like to comment on this. I installed python2.1 some time ago in
/usr/local. However this leads to problems. You have to modify some of
the code (eg PYTHONPATH IIRC) due to using prefix=/usr/local.

If you do not modify the code, all of your installed python
modules/packages (in prefix=/usr) will not be found by
/usr/local/bin/python.

I don't think I ever got it quite right, perhaps a simple
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python{2,2.1}:/usr/lib/python1.5

inside $HOME/.bashrc would be a better solution?

--
Gordon Sadler