Re: Python 2.1 out

Vasko Miroslav wrote:
> as Python 2.1 is out, there is no need to keep Python2 and Python152
> in Debian, I think.
> [snip]
> and code-breakage features like nested scopes are disabled by default.

Licenses aside, there are the same technical issues with Python 2.1
as with Python 2.0.

The byte code files are incompatible, and so are binaries of extension
modules written in C.

There could not be a full migration of Debian to Python 2.1 until
all extensions have been rebuilt and tested successfully with 2.1.

It could also take some time before developers of python-based packages
(Zope etc) declare them to be compatible with Python 2.1.

I expect this means that Python 1.5.2 will be around for a while yet.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/