Re: [Python-Dev] Status of Python in the Red Hat 7.1 beta

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:

> (Copying Michael Tiemann on this, as he can actually get Red Hat to move...)

Copying to debian-python, since it's an important issue there too...

> I've investigated this.  The state of the Red Hat 7.1 beta seem to be
> that it will include both 2.0 and 1.5.2; there are separate python and
> python2 RPMs.  This would be OK, but I don't know which version will be
> called by "/usr/bin/env python".

That's how woody works now, and the binaries are called python and python2.
Note that they are not managed by the alternatives mechanism -- Joey Hess
explained the bad experience perl had with that.
I think it's thought of as a temporary issue, and the long-term solution
would be to move to Python 2.1. Not sure what all the packages who
install in /usr/lib/python1.5 are going to do about it. I'm
prepared to adopt htmlgen and python-imaging to convert them if it's needed.

--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.