Re: Please wait before bloating Debian with python2- packages

On Jan 22, J?r?me Marant wrote:
>   I've recently seen some python2- modules being uploaded into Incoming.
>   It seems that people did not read our previous thread and prefer to
>   duplicate package for all Python interpreters. This is all non-sense.
>
>   Please realize that this will bloat Debian an unconsistant way.
>
>   Rob recently came up with an interesting proposal, inspired from
>   emacsen way of installing modules. I don't know if he had a deeper
>   look in it and if he started implementing something since then.
>
>   Matthias, Gregor, what do you think of this? Thanks.
>
>   Right now, I'm ready to help on implementing something but I don't
>   want that we duplicate our efforts. Rob, did you start something ?

Unfortunately, this argument doesn't apply to binary modules, which
are specific to the particular version of the interpreter (IIRC).
That's why python2-pqueue is there.

I suppose you could put both 1.5 and 2.0 modules in one package and
depend on python-base (>= 1.5.2) | python2-base, but I really didn't
think of that at the time...

In any event, there are good technical reasons to keep both 1.5 and
2.0 for now that have nothing to do with the GPL issue.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> -  http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager (Physics & Astronomy, 125 Lewis, 662-915-5765)
Instructor, POL 101      (Political Science, 208 Deupree, 662-915-5949)