Re: Please wait before bloating Debian with python2- packages

Rob Tillotson <robt@debian.org> writes:

> However, it may not be as urgently needed as I thought.  It would
> probably still be nice to have some sort of automatic-compilation
> framework in place if anyone ever packages jpython/jython, but I think
> we may not need to have parallel installations of 1.5 and 2.0 for much
> longer.  (Although I have no inside knowledge, I have heard that the
> GPL incompatibility issue has been worked out and will be fixed
> shortly.  I certainly hope so...)  In that case, I guess we would

  Were did you read about this ?

  So if there are no more GPL problems, and if there are no need to
  have 2 pythons at a time, we can add a Provides: python (=2.0) to
  python 2 and recompile all our modules for python 2 right ?

  So there is no need for 2 versions of each module.

> still need both of them long enough to allow package maintainers to
> switch to using /usr/lib/python2.0 instead of /usr/lib/python1.5, if
> nothing else.

  Well, I think we need some mecanism allowing us to keep modules on the
  system, even if we change the interpreter.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>

Debian Activity Page:
http://jerome.marant.free.fr/debian