Re: Proposal: Reorganizing Python for Python2 (and fixes for the previous proposal)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 09:32:49PM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:25:44 -0800, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Is it possible for a program to use deprecated 1.5 things and
> > > not work with 2.0?
> > Possible, but extremely unlikely.
>
> If that's the case, why bother with the alternatives and concurrent installs
> and such?
>
> If you've got python 2 installed, the only reason to have 1.5 installed is
> license problems;

Ack!  your'e making a joke, right.
I don't give a shit about licenses, and both 1.5.2 and 2.0
installed (and maybe 2.1, once it is released)... so much for that
theory.  :-/

> but using alternatives will mean that the program that
> has
> 	#!/usr/bin/env python
> or
> 	#!/usr/bin/python
> (and works with either 1.5 or 2) will end up running with python 2 anyway
> (assuming that's what python points to).

I have all of the Py-2.0 stuff using "/usr/bin/env python2.0", after
all, that is the name of the python interpreter for version 2.0.
/usr/bin/python points to python1.5, because that is the Python that
comes with Potato... and changing it will probably break Debian's 1.5.2
since most of the executable .py-s use "#! /usr/bin/env python"  :(

<...>
> If you don't use alternatives, then you need to make the python 2 and
> python 1.5 packages conflict (either by calling both python_*.deb, or
> by adding a conflicts: header to the python 2 package). Packages using
> python 2 features, though, would just need to declare a dependency on
> "python (>> 2.0-1)" or "python-2", though, which is nice and easy.

Python 1.5.2 and Python <any number> will conflict as long as Debian
takes the retarded approach of assuming the interpreter can only
be called as "python".

The alternatives subsystem is fine for an XOR relationship, but that is
not the case between Python versions, just the generic name "python".
Users should be able to point "python" to anything they want, without
breaking the system!

later,

	Bruce