Re: Python license and GPL programs

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> By this reasoning, for Python 2.0, you'd also have to add a BeOpen &
> California clause.  And god knows what jurisdiction 2.1 will be under
> (I assume it will be owned by the PSF).

Argh, you're right.  Hopefully any future licenses won't include more
of these obnoxious clauses.  Maybe I'm just going to have to learn Ruby...

> I guess I'm still missing how saying "you will interpret this license
> under the laws of state X" has any effect on GPLed code.  If it
> doesn't matter under which state's laws you interpret the GPL, the
> choice of state X doesn't matter; if it does matter, then the GPL is
> flawed and we have much more serious problems than license
> incompatibility.

Indeed.  I seem to recall Richard Stallman saying the following:

* The GPL is heavily affected by jurisdiciton
* The GPL may in fact need to have different flavours for different
  countries, and may not work at all in some places
* This is a major problem for Free software
* It is essential to lobby IP-regressive legislatures to protect the
  feasibility of copyleft

--

Peter Eckersley
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde

for techno-leftie inspiration, take a look at
http://www.computerbank.org.au/