Re: py2.0

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:30:49PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > What's the story with Python 2.0...
>
> a long one, about licences and gpl compatibility...

<shrug> Ya, well, in my mind "free license" is an oxymoron.
It makes no difference to me whether it is M$ or RMS trying to control
what I can do or have access to.  [sorry, gotta do that once on
every list I subscribe to  :]

> > are there any .debs around for Potato, or even the debianized source
> > (a quick peek showed only 1.5.2 in potato, testing and unstable)?
> > Have I missed a message about the location of py2.0 for Debian, or was I
>
> yes, you have :-)
>
> > struck blind when I checked the archives?
>
> the same :-)
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-python-0012/msg00000.html

Hmmm, ok, I remember this one.  It was announced for Woody, and there
were problems (presumably fixed with the packages now available)...
anyone using them with Potato, or is it best to get the diffs and
original source?

> there are also activestate python debian packages,
> (www.activestate.com) which, although badly packaged and violating debian
> policy in almost all aspects, work reasonably well and coexist nicely
> with debian proper python packages.

I noticed they advertised binaries, but didn't realize they had .debs,
I'd have checked here anyways (closer to home, so to speak :).

-- Thanks --

later,

	Bruce