Re: Policy for naming python packages

Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> writes:

> there are however some issues...
> I have packaged pyncurses (http://pyncurses.sourceforge.net), which is
> a new, object oriented interface for ncurses.
> I cannot rename it to python-ncurses, since that is an upstream
> name of another program (and python-curses is yet another).
I'm sorry, I didn't find python-ncurses anywhere (neither with Freshmeat
nor Google). But I found pyncurses.

Anyway, naming conflicts is a problem. So when a conflict, keeping the
original name (this should be discussed) is a good solution, at the moment.

> python-pyncurses is a pleonasm, and looks like python interface for
> pyncurses.
You're right, this is nonsense.

> So far I have settled on plain pyncurses, moreover if all the libraries for
> python have to begin with python- (and similarily for perl etc.), it looks
> like hungarian notation, which few people like.
It is only a way of naming packages, not libraries themselves of course.
All binary libraries packages begin with lib (and in Debian, more than in other
distribution) and it is more practical for many reasons (mainly searching)
Why not doing the same with python libs?

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@IDEALX.com>

| IDEALX - Open Source Engineering / Ingénierie Open Source |
| http://IDEALX.com                                         |