Re: Do we prefer Tk8.0 or 8.2 ? (for python-tk, that is)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 05:46:24PM +0100, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> I have a quite urgent problem while polishing the new Python packages:
>
> Do we prefer our packages to use tk8.2 or on tk8.0 ?

I (as tk maintainer) would prefer tk8.2.  However, the current python
tkinter module is designed for tk8.0.  Reportedly, patches are
available somewhere to make it us tk8.2, but they don't appear to be
widely used.  I think it's best to stay with tk8.0 until tkinter is
officially updated.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 10:34:55AM -0800, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> I would suggest we use tk8.2, since it fixes a lot of threading
> issues present in the tk8.0 code.  Let's move forward to the

The last time I checked, the threading support in tk8.2 was not
stable, so it isn't enabled in my current Debian packages.  tk8.2 is
built with -D_REENTRANT, though, so it is possible to use call tk from
a single thread in a threaded application.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel@home.com