Re: Review request: publicity microflyer

On 05/06/2023 15:59, James Addison wrote:
> For and after the upcoming release of Debian bookworm, I'd like to
> (attempt to) promote Debian locally by distributing some small flyers
> that are intended to be cheap to print and that include a QR-code
> suitable for use from smartphones (relevant when the flyers are, for
> example, posted on public noticeboards).

Good idea!

> I'd like to gather feedback on the wording and content of the flyer;
> the copy attached to this email is based on the latest edit, and is
> available in source form from this debian-flyers.git merge request:
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/merge_requests/23

Great start, and you have had some useful feedback. But a bit of
feedback from a former technical marketing person (although that
certainly doesn't mean I am right and others are wrong, of course)...

1) The current text is good but I think it can be improved to encourage
people to actually take action instead of just saying 'that's
interesting - I learnt something today'. A simple change is to reverse
the last sentence:

Scan the QR code to try Debian out, without affecting your current
operating system. Or visit the website https://ww.debian.org/ for more
information.

2) Make the QR code include a simple reporting link so you know how many
people reacted to this particular flyer (even this particular
wording/use) vs. just typed in the Debian URL. Not a tracking link - the
same for everyone: just a link to count how many people reacted to this
flyer, and which version of it. I am sure someone on debian-publicity
can tell you how to get one which the website can report on.

3) Many, many more people have heard of Linux than Debian. And many of
those know nothing about Linux and might be interested in finding out
about it. To catch those it is critical to mention Linux. Note: a small
number of people will be put off by Linux - but those will instantly
find out Debian is Linux so no point hiding it. I suggest changing the
second sentence 'It is one of the oldest Linux distributions and
includes over 60,000 applications and tools, ...'

4) Think about **why** people will (should) be attracted to Debian. My
thoughts:

i) Free

ii) Scope - software for everything they need to do

iii) Learning - learning about computers, about programming, about
specific technologies

iv) Communities and society - join like-minded people and get support in
areas they are interested in (artists, gamers, volunteers, programmers,
...)

With those points in mind, here is one possible version - others can, no
doubt, do better:

Debian is a free operating system for computers of all kinds. It is one
of the oldest Linux distributions and includes over 60,000 applications
and tools, including software for businesses, programmers, scientists,
educators and artists.

Continuous improvements and timely security updates are provided by an
open community of more than a thousand volunteers with subject area
interest and expertise in the software they maintain. Learn how to use,
and even develop, the software that matters for you, as the source code
is available for you to read, edit and redistribute.

Scan the QR code to try Debian out, without affecting your current
operating system. Or visit the website https://ww.debian.org/ for more
information.

Graham