Re: Review request: publicity microflyer

Thanks for sharing your experience, Graham :)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 at 10:21, Graham Cobb <g+debian@cobb.uk.net> wrote:

> On 05/06/2023 15:59, James Addison wrote:
> > I'd like to gather feedback on the wording and content of the flyer;
> > the copy attached to this email is based on the latest edit, and is
> > available in source form from this debian-flyers.git merge request:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debian-flyers/-/merge_requests/23
>
> Great start, and you have had some useful feedback. But a bit of
> feedback from a former technical marketing person (although that
> certainly doesn't mean I am right and others are wrong, of course)...
>
> 1) The current text is good but I think it can be improved to encourage
> people to actually take action instead of just saying 'that's
> interesting - I learnt something today'. A simple change is to reverse
> the last sentence:
>
> Scan the QR code to try Debian out, without affecting your current
> operating system. Or visit the website https://ww.debian.org/ for more
> information.

I think I'm reluctant to make claims about effects on other systems --
not because I believe that Debian would do that itself, but because it
can happen by mistake and I don't want to leave possible users with
bad feelings.

My first experience installing Slackware was that I overwrote a
Windows system - I didn't mean to, and it was a bit annoying, and in
fact it ultimately did _not_ disappoint me in Slackware long-term, but
at the time it was a bit of a "d'oh" moment.

> 2) Make the QR code include a simple reporting link so you know how many
> people reacted to this particular flyer (even this particular
> wording/use) vs. just typed in the Debian URL. Not a tracking link - the
> same for everyone: just a link to count how many people reacted to this
> flyer, and which version of it. I am sure someone on debian-publicity
> can tell you how to get one which the website can report on.

I have strange opinions about this: I think comparative aggregate
statistics can be useful, but I don't want to create many/any paths
into Debian that add reporting, because in my view there is a
near-equivalence between reporting-links and tracking-links.

It also means that I won't have any idea how successful or not the
flyering activity has been, but in fact I think that should be
refreshing and ease my mind about it.  I won't feel like working
harder to reach any quotas, and I won't be disappointed if no-one
visits as a result, because either way I'll have no idea.

> 3) Many, many more people have heard of Linux than Debian. And many of
> those know nothing about Linux and might be interested in finding out
> about it. To catch those it is critical to mention Linux. Note: a small
> number of people will be put off by Linux - but those will instantly
> find out Debian is Linux so no point hiding it. I suggest changing the
> second sentence 'It is one of the oldest Linux distributions and
> includes over 60,000 applications and tools, ...'

The popularity of Linux and the age of Debian are good talking points.
I would feel bad mentioning Linux without writing 'GNU/Linux', but
then I feel like that could be an unnecessarily weird (although true,
accurate) blob of text for people to read.

I'll spend some time thinking about this.  I'd certainly mention Linux
during in-person conversations about Debian.  Those will be far, far
from a smooth sales pitch and more like someone rambling incoherently
while listening (if at all) in a slightly peculiar or distracted
fashion to their conversation partner.

> 4) Think about **why** people will (should) be attracted to Debian. My
> thoughts:
>
> i) Free

+1 (might bold the text "free operating system")

> ii) Scope - software for everything they need to do

+1 ("for all kinds of computers, and all kinds of tasks"?)

> iii) Learning - learning about computers, about programming, about
> specific technologies

+0.25 - somewhat agree, thinking about it

> iv) Communities and society - join like-minded people and get support in
> areas they are interested in (artists, gamers, volunteers, programmers,
> ...)

+0.25 - agree, although I suppose I have been less personally involved
in those kind of communities since ~15 years ago, so feel less
connection to this (although am now contributing here, on the other
hand, so that's good).  Thinking about this also.

> Debian is a free operating system for computers of all kinds. It is one
> of the oldest Linux distributions and includes over 60,000 applications
> and tools, including software for businesses, programmers, scientists,
> educators and artists.

I like the simplicity of this.

> Continuous improvements and timely security updates are provided by an
> open community of more than a thousand volunteers with subject area
> interest and expertise in the software they maintain. Learn how to use,
> and even develop, the software that matters for you, as the source code
> is available for you to read, edit and redistribute.

That is great, too.  Referring back to a sibling message from Paul, we
may want to adjust the community-size wording, but otherwise I like
this a lot.

> Scan the QR code to try Debian out, without affecting your current
> operating system. Or visit the website https://ww.debian.org/ for more
> information.

Nice.  I suppose that people would fairly naturally learn that they
can install Debian longer-term if they want to.

I'm going to take a break for a while after reading through these
message and will make some edits to the microflyer within the next day
or two.

Thank you again!
James