DPN template update, input desired.

Hello Everyone,

This email is to inform you of and to and solicit your opinions on
proposed changes to the structure and layout of the DPN template.

While we certainly plan on moving forward with these proposals and hope
that you like them, we are open to additional changes, suggestions, and
feedback before this becomes semi-permanent. So please take some time to
look over the template and share your thoughts.

The main purpose for these suggested changes is to put together a
template for the DPN that allows it to flow between sections while
allowing readers to follow along interests using the index or by
searching by keyword.

What was old is now new as we return to the older index system which
directly stated the contents of the issue rather than the present
standalone sections where news items can be lost. In other words we
would return to using the wml < toc-add-entry > as the index points
rather than ‘Internal News' and 'External News'. The latter do not lend
themselves to ease of reading or indexing by search or search engines.

The template was created with ...lorem ipsum ... in order to visually
represent the final product.

A quick thank you to Laura who helped with some formatting and the repo. :)

The template will stay open for the duration of this week with comments
and work closing on 20 November.  We should be able to use it or its
revised state for the following DPN issue planned for mid-December, if
not the very first issue of 2021.

Suggestions and comments may be shared in this thread or via IRC.

The template is located here and is open for editing:
https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/dpn/-/blob/master/en/template_update.wml

You can view a visual preview here:
https://people.debian.org/~donald/www/News/weekly/2020/02/index.en.html

Below are some descriptions and motivators for the section changes.

Comments, suggestions, and all are appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------------------

Moving on to DPNTemplate_EleventyTheThird

Header – (No change)
Welcome – (No change)

Very Important News 1 of 2 (New!)
Items that we have published in the blog or a repeat of information that
we want to assure is reached by this particular audience.

Very Important News 2 of 2 (New!)
Items that we have published in the blog or a repeat of information that
we want to assure is reached by this particular audience.

Table of Contents - (No change)
The table of contents for the issue.

Security Advisories - (Change
Previously this section was placed much later in the issue, it was moved
to the top of the issue to indicate the importance of the advisories,
however when it was moved we no longer provided a sampling of some of
the advisories. Presently we would reverse that and return to providing
a small sample of advisories along with a link to the full list that
readers would further investigate for their systems.

News on Debian 'bullseye' (New!)
While we are a bit out from the next major release, toward its progress
we will start to promote the status here. We would also return to adding
the Release-Critical bugs section here as the time for the release gets
closer.

Internal News (Change)
Internal items of interest from teams or collaborators, information from
the DPL, changes in infrastructure, policy updates, etc ...

External News (Change)
News about Debian, a Debian influence in F/OSS, F/OSS, mentions of
Debian in the news or other media.

The following sections do not get breakout sections but remain under
their current <toc -add-entry> headings:

BSPs, Events, MiniDebCamps, and MiniDebConfs (No change)
Section for reports on past events and announcements for future events.
No changes.

Reports (Change)
This section seems under-used considering that it is a prime area for
reports from other Debian teams who should have their work featured here
rather than in the internal news section.
The reports section was anchored with summaries of reports from the work
in LTS Freexian and Reproducible Builds, the summaries grew to the point
where we instead linked directly to the work from LTS and RB.

Help needed (No change)
Packages needing help, newcomer bugs, teams needing help, and project
needs for help.

More than just code (No change)
This section is intended to show the human/other side of DDs and
Contributors via links and summaries to things we do outside of Debian
or things we do using Debian. The focus has been on projects,
technology, research, diversity meetings, opinion pieces, talks,
outreach, etc … Most of the content for this section is gleaned from
planet.

Code, coders, and contributors (No change)
This section welcomes new maintainers and developers, shows how many
contributors we have for the year, gives statistics on the volume of
code in buster and sid, and lists popular and noteworthy packages,
lastly it lists newcomer bugs for new contributors to use.

Discussions (Change)
This section takes a few of the longer discussions that occur on the
-user Debian mailing list and summarizes some threads that show
interest, answer a question, or share some history of Debian or Linux.
Although it mainly has pulled from the users lists, we can also add
lists from -devel and other semi-internal lists.

Usage (No change)
Tips and Tricks -subsection
Taken mainly from the planet feed this section shares general tips and
tricks for users.

Once upon a time in Debian (No change)
Peek back at historical points in the project.

Quick links (No change)
Extract from the micronews.

Be well,

Donald