Re: Languages in manpages-l10n

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
Le 29/02/2020 à 20:12, Mario Blättermann a écrit :
Hello Jean-Philippe,

Am Sa., 29. Feb. 2020 um 17:46 Uhr schrieb Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
<jpmengual@debian.org>:
[…]
ok. This is clear. So in the description of the package, I suggest
Tobian to mention this: the package contains the up-to-date manpages in
their respective languages. It replaces manpages-fr, de, etc; the
languages not replaced are probably deprecated.

… and out of date.

Thus it is clear for the end-user. And maybe someone will want to ship
his language manpages in manpages-l10n?

Yes, maybe… But the current state of the other manpages-* project is
the worst possible starting point for new teams: All, or at least
almost all translations are terribly outdated. The plain text files
are from the pre-po4a period and need to be imported into *.po files
first. Well, it is not impossible, but is a lot of work, though. I did
it already for the current Dutch translations. First, one need to
determine which original man page version the translation is based on
- and if the translators don't have mentioned a version number at that
time, you can only guess… Then, after merging with the latest
translation templates, in many cases almost nothing from the imported
stuff remains. This is not very attractive for both newbies and
experienced translators.

Anyway, if someone is willing to contact the various translation teams
(not only the Debian translators), I would support it with my
experience in importing plain text files. Besides the known manpages-*
packages from Debian, there are two other abandoned man page
translation projects, for Danish and Finnish, see [1].

Ok so useless to do such efforts. However perhaps we could try to make the manpages-l10n birth a public news (Debian project news, micronews). It may some persons react?

BTW, would it make sense to create a mailing list for the
manpages-l10n project, where we could discuss such things?

I think we should use debian-i18n for this.

Best regards

Best regards,

[1] https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/index.html

Best Regards,