Re: Standing behind GNOME Foundation against Rothschild Patent Imaging LLC?

Hello all

El 30/9/19 a las 15:29, Neil McGovern escribió:
> Thanks Chris and all for the support that's been shown in this thread,
> it really does mean a lot while we're going through this complex period.
>
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:25:53AM +0100, Andy Simpkins wrote:
>> Having read the 'claim' being made, I for one, can not see there being
>> a case to answer, however my experience does not cover the American
>> patant/legal systems.  To me this looks like a classic case of patent
>> tolling.  Any and all instaces of which SHOULD be taken into court to
>> be struck down and the patent invalidated. On no account should these
>> trolls be allowed to walk away without a legal rulling against them.
>>

> At the moment, I'm not going to publicly state our strategy or position
> on the patent in question, as anything I do say wouldn't be legally
> privileged. However, I think I can say that my concern isn't just about
> GNOME and this case, but how free software projects are affected by this
> sort of patent activity more widely.
>
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:25:53AM +0100, Andy Simpkins wrote:
>> Where can I contribute to the war chest in order to help fund fighting this?
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 09:03:37PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
>> Aye aye! We should distribute a fundraising site more widely among Debian
>> for anyone in our community who is willing to donate to the collective
>> defense of our tools.
>
> At the point when we require significant funds to fight this, I'll
> address it. At the moment, we're very much in the preliminary stages of
> this legal case. More generally, I'm talking to other folk around how to
> make sure that GNOME and free software isn't attacked in future.
>
> Apologies for not being able to provide more clarity at this stage, I'm
> sure you'll understand why!
>
> Neil

For now, we have published a micronews in support

https://micronews.debian.org/2019/1570115848.html

Thanks Chris and everybody involved. We'll follow the issue and try to
help from the publicity team as needed.

Kind regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina