Fwd: About Debian hardware database

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 05:13:00 +0000
Subject: Re: About Debian hardware database
To: Andrey Ponomarenko <andrewponomarenko@yandex.ru>

at bottom :-

On 02/12/2019, Andrey Ponomarenko <andrewponomarenko@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Debian hardware database (https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Database) is
> now improved by the statistical report called "Trends in Hardware":
> https://linux-hardware.org/?view=trends&d=Debian
>
> Due to a relatively small data set (it's just added to Sid:
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/main/hw-probe) one might want to change
> period from "Last month" to "All time" or look at the "All distros" report
> (which is also available on GitHub at https://github.com/linuxhw/Trends).
>
> The database is GitHub-based, i.e. all income reports are depersonalized (on
> client side) and published on GitHub: https://github.com/linuxhw
>
> It would be great to bring this information to the Debian community.
>
> Thanks!

That would have been good although if you look at the tracker page [1]
 it seems a source-upload of the package is necessary. About the other
aspect, under what copyleft license would the data be has to be seen
as well as somebody has to package the data in a way so people know
how recent or not so recent the data is in Debian. Some kind of
versioning perhaps, something like semver [2] perhaps ? Somebody would
have to take the ownership of doing the packaging and before that fix
hw-probe itself before even attempting to see the database and see
what's that all about.

1, https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/hw-probe
2. https://semver.org/

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C