Re: Drafting announcement for shutting down ftp

at bottom :-

On 08/03/2017, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> The mirror team and DSA would like to shutdown the ftp service for all
> of our public mirrors somewhere before the end of the year.  We drafted
> some announcement, but I have no idea if that would be appropriate and
> where we need to announce that.
>
> Please provide some insight.
>
> Regards,
> Bastian
>
> ---
> A lot of people have already done it, some will do it in the near future. So
> let's face it, it is time to terminate a service that we all have learned to
> love and hate --- our FTP servers.
>
> All FTP servers for public facing debian.org services will be shut down on
> XXX 1, 2017. These are:
>
> * ftp://ftp.debian.org
> * ftp://security.debian.org
>
> Please consider migrating to the following:
>
>     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian          <codename-or-suite>
> main ...
>     deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security <codename-or-suite>/updates
> main ...
>
>     # tor variant (requires apt-transport-tor)
>     # deb  tor+http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian
> <codename-or-suite>            main ...
>     # deb  tor+http://sgvtcaew4bxjd7ln.onion/debian-security
> <codename-or-suite>/updates    main ...
>
> Internal services will not be affected. These are:
>
> * ftp://ftp.upload.debian.org
> * ftp://security-master.debian.org
>
> If you have any concerns about this change, please contact
> mirrors@debian.org.
>
> --
> Men will always be men -- no matter where they are.
> 		-- Harry Mudd, "Mudd's Women", stardate 1329.8

Dear Bastian,

While the above looks good, it hasn't been shared what concerns or
problems were encountered with the ftp mirrors which is leading to the
discontinuation of the service. I scanned the mail twice. The only
semi-line which tells about the service is  " it is time to terminate
a service that we all have learned to
> love and hate --- our FTP servers." - Bastian

Maybe a line or two or a mail list discussion link/bug report/s or
something where this was discussed would be appropriate for people
wanting to know the issues encountered as well as for historical
purposes.

For the rest, probably the debian-publicity team would be better off
as I'm not a native english speaker.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल