Re: have new packages listed on the debian landing page

in-line :-

On 06/05/2017, Laura Arjona Reina <larjona@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi shirish

Hi Laura,

> El 6 de mayo de 2017 8:01:05 CEST, "shirish शिरीष" <shirishag75@gmail.com>
> escribió:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I remember a service, either on debian-devel or debian-devel-announce
>>where every few months, in the Bits from ... service/mail there used
>>to be news of new packages which have come in the Debian archive.
>>Think it was either bi-weekly or monthly service.
>>
>>Now for some unknown reason, the service was stopped, either due to
>>the fact that whoever was checking the new packages, playing with it
>>and sharing the goodies either felt that people didn't find it useful
>>or s(he) just became de-motivated for some other reasons.
>>
>>I have been missing the service for quite some time and do have couple
>>of ideas which might make whoever contributes to the content a bit
>>more visible.
>>
>>While I do not know how feasible it might be, would it be possible if
>>the service restarts, to have that same news also come on the landing
>>page.
>>
>>I believe (although might be mistaken) for most NEW packages and
>>packagers it is hard to get users as the packages themselves are
>>'optional' instead of being in the three priority lists of 'required'
>>, 'important' and 'standard' .
>>
>>https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
>>
>>This might lead to the packagers/maintainers being disillusioned after
>>a while and at times even good packages go out of the archive and the
>>whole thing is circular in nature.
>>
>>Having that news on the landing page would ensure that more people at
>>least on 'testing' try the new packages who might not read mails .
>>
>>I also saw that usually in what's new release notes, Debian stresses
>>only about updates of important packages and doesn't tell which new
>>packages have come in.
>>
>>For instance see
>>https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#newdistro
>>
>>While it probably might be a bit overboard to share all the new
>>packages, a curated list
>
> We lack people to so the work (curate the list, write down some articles,
> maintain the website of the service...).
>
> My proposal to you would be from little to bigger work: if you want to put
> some time of it, you can prepare some paragraphs and we recover the "New and
> noteworthy packages" section of the DPN. We publish 3 or 4 DPN each year,
> after a year we can decide if we keep the section or turn it in a more
> complex service.
>
> What do you think?
>
> CC'ing -publicity because I think it's more on-topic there. Feel free to
> leave out -www unless you are proposing something related with
> www.debian.org itself.
>
> Hint:
>
> You can have a look at https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2015/02/ or
> https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2014/06/ to get an idea of how the
> section looked like in the past.

I know as I used it till DPN was being published with the new pkg list.

> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/newpkg list only the last 7 days
> and the DPN is not that frequent, hence the manual work needed to
> perodically grab the list and select.

I didn't know the existence of
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/newpkg. Although I'm curious
to know why we are limited to 7 days news only. Could somebody share
the reasoning for that as I'm sure there is ?  :(

Could we have a service that isn't limited to just a week but just
goes on, I specifically like the age view and with some filters, we
could have ourselves a winner. I don't know/think it would be that big
as it's textual  and be highly compressed and have it stored somewhere
where the list could be downloaded with reference to dates and all are
happy.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/newpkg?mode=byage

Instead of

https://packages.debian.org/sid/allpackages?format=txt.gz

https://packages.debian.org/sid/allpackages/May/2017?format=May.txt.gz

something similar to that.

> We intent to publish a DPN in May, so you can download the WIP file:
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/publicity/dpn.git/tree/en/2017/02/index.wml

I dunno wml or even how to parse wml files . I am hoping that our
current browsers, i.e. firefox or/and chromum are good enough to see
wml, am less sure how to generate those pages. I did have a look at
the wiki page but couldn't find any content about wml except a page
which was in Romania
https://wiki.debian.org/ro/L10n/Romanian/Webwml which probably talks
about the same thing (but in Romania :( )

> send your patch against it, to the debian-publicity list, and we can commit
> it.
>
> Cheers

<snipped>

--