Re: [Debconf-discuss] personal debian badges to use on our website ?

This look like a really good idea. I still havent bought in the digital badges idea, but I like it.

Mozilla has something similar using open badges: https://backpack.openbadges.org/backpack/login

Problem is ideas are many and time limited. Are you stepping forward to make it work? :)

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 10:52 PM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

>From the last debconf I really like the badges that were made

>From debconf16 experience this is how things work/ed for me -

a. Debconf registration opens (this year it was good 4 months in
advance, 19th March 2016)

b. Complete registration

c. Get confirmation email that registration was successful

d. Here it gets a bit murkier -

d1. I had to buy airline tickets for visa (came to know about
refundable deposits) way later, so it was a bit of gamble for me.
Luckily came to know that the airline I booked (Qatar Airways) refunds
money in case of visa refusal.

d2.  Needed a modified visa letter with more details than the standard
one given by Debian

e. Go to the visa people (vfsglobal in my case) pay the visa fees and
simply wait.

e1. Also apply for transit visa (which I didn't need to because Doha
Al Hamad doesn't need a transit visa from Indians) otherwise another
loop here itself.

f. Get visa with some wrong information - probably exception here.

g. Get it fixed by sending a letter to the Embassy clarifying what was wrong.

h. Get the final fixed visa (28th May)

i. Give final registration go-ahead (this tells Debian orga that you
are really coming)

j. Travel and attend debconf .

Now I had been thinking that at I. could we give personalized digital
badges to attendees to use and decorate it on their blog/website, a
sort of official recognition that they are going to Debconf.

I am thinking of https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Artwork going
down to where the badges are -

I tried to edit so that the artwork would generate a TOC, saw that
there is _NOTOC_ and saw in the revision history that Valessio had
generated the page with _NOTOC_ . Probably a valid reason for that
hence left it alone.

Few reasons why it may be a good idea -

a. Such personalized badges are and would be fun and it could be used
to decorate your website/blog with the personal touch. It shows you
had gone or are going.

b. I remember some people asking for certificate of attendance of the
Conference. While some people may still ask for it, most would be
happy with digital badges.

c. People could decorate with number of badges so number of years they
went can be easily seen, this publicizes the user/attendee's
affliation with Debian and vice-versa.

The only downside I see would be -

People who are rejected years down the line due to some bad behaviour
could use the badges to ill-repute Debian.

How it would work -

a. Have a script automatically incrementing the number when the final
go-ahead is received form the attendee.

b. If we wanna be fancy, we could use GNU barcode

[$] aptitude show barcode | grep Description

c. Have the Debconf that year badge as the background for the digital badge.

What do people think of it ?

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल