Debian at the EE Live/Embedded Systems Conference

Dear Debian News:

I'm not sure whether these topics are suitable for DPN or not, but I
wanted to share some recent Debian sightings.  I attended the EE
Live/Embedded Systems Conference that took place in San Jose,
California, March 31st - April 3rd [1], and Debian was quite prevalent.

One of the conference keynotes was given Bunnie Huang, who discussed the
future of hardware and introduced his Novena open-hardware laptop
platform [2].  The PCBs, firmware, and even the case design are all
open.  He ran his talk from an early prototype, and as documented in his
crowd-sourcing announcement [3], "All configurations will come with
Debian (GNU/Linux) pre-installed..."  Debian supporters may be
interested in supporting the project.

Another interesting presentation was "Running Android atop a proper
embedded Linux," given by Ryan Kuester, one of the developers of
Pragmatux [4].  Pragmatux leverages Debian both for its development
environment and for package management on the target, and the use of
packages made for a very streamlined and well-organized demonstration.

Finally, the Yocto Project [5,6] supports both .rpm and .deb-based
package management for embedded targets and lists Debian as a supported
development workstation environment. It isn't purely Debian-based, but
it is good to see Debian as an integral part of these sorts of projects.
 Put another way, there are potentially a large number of embedded
systems out there using Debian technologies that we'll never see in popcon.

Feel free to use (or not use) any of these items as you see fit for DPN,
and let me know if you need any clarification.

Thank you,
tony

[1] http://www.eeliveshow.com/sanjose/
[2] http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3657