promoting how-can-i-help via bits.d.o and/or announcement

[ moving to -publicity ]

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:54:50PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> In order to help noticing such RFSs, how-can-i-help is now listing them
> (in version 4, uploading a couple minutes ago):
> | New packages waiting for sponsorship (reviews/tests are also useful):
> |  - hwinfo - http://bugs.debian.org/733578 - RFS: hwinfo/21.0-1 [ITA] -- Hardware identification system

Awesome!, thanks Lucas.

> (and how-can-i-help already lists orphaned, RFA, ITA, RFH packages, bugs tagged
> 'gift', packages removed from testing, and packages going to be removed from
> testing soon).

I'm since a while convinced that how-can-i-help is a very important
piece of attracting newcomers to contribute to Debian. For that reason,
I think we should promote it *a lot*. On one hand, I think it should be
part of our default installation --- but that's a discussion that we
should have in a different forum and that at some point I plan to start.

For this forum (-publicity) the proposal is to promote the installation
and usage of how-can-i-help via a blog post on bits.d.o and/or a (user)
announcement. Lucas, assuming people here are fine with the idea, do you
fancy writing a guest blog post for bits.d.o? As both the author and
DPL, I think that would help promoting the tool more.

Alternatively or complementary to that, what people here thing about an
announcement via Debian News?

Thanks for considering,
Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .