Re: Enlarging the Debian Planetarium

Hi,

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> I'm happy to see a user planet following this criteria, but I'm wary about
> potential blatant advertisement under debian.org namespaces.
>
> My concern is having blog posts syndicated that, while being Debian related,
> are clearly oriented at attracting readers to a certain commercial website.
>
> I know the line between what'd be acceptable and what isn't is very blurry
> and thin, so let's see what everyone thinks to make a clear statement on
> this.

I don't see why this would be more of a problem on a user planet than on a
developer planet. And in both cases, we have peer pressure methods that
work reasonably well (including your intervention as planet
administrator).

> For example, if liw or joeyh mention branchable in the DD planet, for me
> it's ok as they don't do it with an obvious intention of acquiring new
> customers.

The problem is not the "intention of acquiring new customers". It's fine
to do that for me, but it must just not be done at the expense of the
quality of the syndicated content: as you say yourself, it's a matter of
frequency, of whether it impacts Debian in one way or another,
of taste in the way the service are presented, of implication of the
person doing that promotion, etc.

It's all highly subjective in general, and can vary from person to person.

> If a French Debian user wrote about a shop in Paris that offers Debian
> installs on new PCs, that'd be ok. If the next week another reference to
> this shop appeared in some other blogpost, then it'd start being a problem.

Let me try to come up with something:

« Think twice before syndicating articles promoting commercial services.
While the occasional promotional post by a happy user is tolerated, regular
posts with marketing-like content advertising commercial services are likely
to be frowned upon. »

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/