Re: New Debian machine for archive mirror announcement ready: please review and translate

Hi Francesca,

On 2012-02-16 08:16, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
Hi all,

we've just finish to write the draft for another (yeah, we're quite
prolific lately, isn't it?) announcement regarding a new Debian machine
for mirroring the archive, to be sent on Saturday 18.

Indeed :-)

I'd appreciate a lot reviews and translations.

The announcement is available, as usual, on the Publicity subversion
repository at publicity/announcement/en/2012/2012-02-18-klecker.wml, or via
HTTP at:

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/announcements/en/2012/2012-02-18-klecker.wml

Thanks in advance,
Francesca

One comment on the form:

The new machine is an 8-core Intel Xeon machine with 48GB of memory and a
total of 6TB (on RAID 10) of local storage.

There should be spaces between numbers and units (48 GB, 6 TB).
Nice little upgrade, BTW.

Other than the form, my only question is: what is the relevance of this upgrade?
What is ftp.debian.org? It does not appear directly on http://mirror.debian.org/status.html
kassia.debian.org appears, but with just 3 leafs. klecker.debian.org also appears, with one leaf.

http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror says:

Many people seem to think that ftp.debian.org is the canonical location of Debian packages and that it will be best for them to mirror from that site. This is not true.

ftp.debian.org is merely one of several servers that get updated from an internal Debian server. That address is presently located on a single server in the United States, and it still exists mainly for backwards compatibility.

I guess this is outdated?

http://wiki.debian.org/ftp.debian.org even goes further:

In the future, it may get services reduced, or shut down, or converted into a globally load-balanced name, or whatever. Please don't use it.

If you're using it now, please switch to a country-based DNS name such as ftp.us.debian.org, ftp.ca.debian.org, ftp.uk.debian.org, ...

Thanks