Re: Proposed entry for next DPN

This is getting off-topic on -devel, kindly follow-up to -publicity
only.

On Mi, 11 ian 12, 20:51:55, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 06:03 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >
> > This is a proposed entry for next debian-news:
> >
> > In a message to debian-devel[1] Thomas Goirand proposed relaxing or even
> > removing some dependencies of web applications on a web server package.
> >
> I'd agree with the above *if* you add:
> because most applications written in PHP depends on libapache2-mod-php5
> | php5,
> which *by default*, would install a web server anyway.
>
> I never proposed that by default, a web server shouldn't be installed.
> I think it should (like everyone in this thread, I guess)! :)

I was just trying to inform, as neutral and as non-technical as
possible, about what you wrote ;)

On Vi, 06 ian 12, 15:56:37, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> So, my suggestion would be to actually *remove* the dependency to the
> web server (and move it as a Recommends: if you see fit...). I would
> strongly advocate for this as being written in our beloved policy.

As far as I'm concerned I could try to rewrite the whole paragraph like:

"In a recent thread on debian-devel it was discovered that even many
Debian Developers are not aware of equivs, ..."

but it would make is sound like an advertisement, which I wanted to
avoid :)

Kind regards,
Andrei