Re: GPL-like numbers, and monetary value [Was: DPN 04/2012 frozen. Please review and translate]

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 02:09:33PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> I'm wondering about John Sullivan' numbers in the GPL article: Russ,
> since you often check for such numbers in order to include licenses in
> /usr/share/common-licenses, can you please confirm the claim that “93%
> of Debian Squeeze's packages are released under licences in the GPL
> family (including the GPL, the Affero GPL and LGPL)”?

FWIW, John's data has been obtained using Russ' tool license-count tool
and have been independently verified by (at least) Luca Falavigna.
Coincidentally, I've just written about all this at:

  http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2012/02/gpl_d_debian_software_skew/

Cheers.