Re: [RFR] wml://News/weekly/2011/15/index.wml Debian Project News frozen. Please review and translate

Le 2011-12-09 23:01, David Prévot a écrit :
Hi,

Thanks to many contributors, we just finished the last bits for the
latest issue of the Debian Project News to be released Monday. We would
appreciate reviews and translations.

Instructions are available on the wiki :
	http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews

As usual, the last updated version is available on the publicity
Subversion repository, even via HTTP:
	http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/publicity/dpn/en/current/index.wml

Regards

David

Thanks to all writers, and thank you David in particular. Here are my comments:

As you may have noticed, it has been quite some time since the last edition of
Debian Project News. To improve the frequency of
<acronym lang="en" title="Debian Project News" >DPN</acronym> and expand its other activities, the Debian Publicity team is looking for new contributors. Did you ever want to help Debian, but every piece of software you were interested in was already packaged? You don't consider yourself a <q>technical person</q>? You
have basic skills in written English? Perfect! Have you considered
for new contributors.

Nice item. In the interest of getting maximum efficiency for our message, I have two comments on it. First, the current presentation somewhat gives the impression that people would participate in the publicity team by a lack of skills/opportunities to participate in other areas of the project. I would drop any reference to packaging or any other task in this request. Instead, let's focus on what tasks need manpower and what skills these need. Skills like having good knowledge of what's happening in the project, communicating well, and writing well. For what it's worth, I'm not sure people need to write well in English specifically. Don't we also need people to simply translate the DPN and other publications?

Similarly, I would put less emphasis on "joining the team" and more on helping the team. We already have enough people listed as part of the team doing little, what we need is not a longer list of members, but more job done. An example of the orientation I would privilege: instead of "joining the Publicity Team", "participating in the Publicity Team".

Also on that item, while higher frequency would definitely help, it's not the only thing the DPN could use. I would also encourage people to help it increase its quality (in general).

The release of Java update 29 from Oracle marks not only security updates,
but a change to the licensing, removing Debian's ability to distribute the
non-free JVM.
"marking security updates" doesn't sound right. I would say
The release of Oracle's Java 6 update 29, which fixes security vulnerabilities,
includes a change to the licensing of Oracle Java, removing Debian's ability to distribute the
non-free JVM.

He notes that Ubuntu plan to deprecate their package review platform
(REVU) in favour of converging on<tt>mentors.debian.net</tt>.
"that Ubuntu plan" is quite casual. I would recommend "He notes a Ubuntu plan [...]" instead.

The<acronym lang="en" title="Open Source Initiative">OSI</acronym>
have invited the Debian Project to their upcoming affiliation programme.

I don't think OSI is plural.

As part of Ubuntu's recent<a href="http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UCADay";>Community
Appreciation Day</a>, Michael Hall sent Debian
of appreciation</a>, stating<q>Without you we wouldn't be able to make the
contributions we do. Ubuntu is great because Debian is great, and we appreciate
all of the work that goes into making it that way.</q>  Michael
be joining</a>  Canonical's Community Team, focusing on projects that are
upstream for Ubuntu.

I for one don't consider this very newsworthy. We already a yearly appreciation day for thanking Debian.

To quote Carlos Juan Martín Pérez<q>For us, the Ministry of Health, and as
members of the Salvadorian Community of Free Software, is an honour to belong
to the great Debian family.</q>

I don't know where the quote is from, but if there is no "it" in the quote, we should put a "[sic]". Is it normal that there is no link to a mailing list thread or something on that item?

a marathon of Bug Squashing Parties (BSPs) has been started with concurrent BSPs
being held in<a href="http://www.debian.org/events/2011/1202-hildesheim-bsp";>Hildesheim</a>,
Germany and<a href="http://www.debian.org/events/2011/1204-ubulocjam-debbsp";>Portland</a>,
OR, USA.

Two-letter acronyms should be well-known... I imagine "OR" stands for "Oregon".

In Hildesheim<a
href="http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/events/bsp-hi-2011-3";>60 Release Critical bugs
were addressed</a>  and several improvements to the<a
href="http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2011/12/04/bsp-hildesheim.html";>archive
software</a>  introduced, while in Portland<a
href="http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/blog/Making_jam_from_bugs/";>14
multiarch patches</a>  were created!

The 60 RC bugs figure is incorrect. The number 60 refers to bug *reports* with a severity suggesting they were RC. It would be nice to have (linked) the statistics too.

Two cross-distributions devrooms are intended to be
for people from any participating distribution project, and may cover
Debian-specific subjects, or indeed targeted at Debian developers only.

It's not clear to me why this says "indeed".

Four applicants have been
	as Debian Developers,
have been accepted
	as Debian Maintainer, and
twenty-five people have<a href="http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi";>started
         to maintain packages</a>  since the previous issue of the Debian
	Project News. Please welcome
Nicholas Breen,
Vincent Legout,
Antoine Beaupré,
Gergely Nagy,

Wolodja Wentland,
Vasudev Kamath,
Matthias Klumpp,
José Manuel Santamaría Lema,
Floris Bruynooghe,
Cédric Boutillier,
Christophe Trophime,
Tobias Hansen,
Nicolas Dandrimont,
Simone Rosetto,
Jonas Genannt,
Laszlo Kajan,
James Page,

Mikolaj Izdebski,
Félix Arreola Rodríguez,
Henry Velez,
Gastón Ramos,
Stephen M. Webb,
Miguel de Val Borro,
Simon Chopin,
Paolo Greppi,
B. Clausius,
Mateusz Kijowski,
José Luis Segura Lucas,
Marcin Kulisz (kuLa),
Teus Benschop,
Ole Streicher,
Paolo Rotolo,
Martin Erik Werner,
Raoul Gunnar Borenius,
Geoffrey Thomas,
Alkis Georgopoulos,
Jerome Kieffer,
Christopher Gervais,
Håkon Nessjøen,
David Stone,
Nicolas Bourdaud
and
Mathias Ertl
	into our project!

I was going to say this is odd, but I remembered this was already discussed:

The way people are listed is odd. If people are welcomed to the Debian project when becoming DM-s and also when they prepare their first package, that means they're presumably being welcomed twice. For me, welcoming someone to the project means that person is new in the project, so you can't welcome twice. Also, is everyone starting to maintain packages in the list or is there a selection? For example, I wonder what would happen if I was to get into packaging, would I be "welcomed" to the project?...

I would suggest to congratulate or thank these people instead.

<toc-add-entry name="rcstats">Release-critical bugs statistics for the upcoming release</toc-add-entry>

         interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming release,
	Debian 7.0<q>Wheezy</q>, is currently affected by
1656 release-critical bugs. Ignoring bugs which are easily solved
	or on the way to being solved, roughly speaking, about
849 release-critical bugs remain to be solved for the
	release to happen.</p>

href="http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/rc-stats/7.0-wheezy/2011-49";>more detailed
	statistics</a>  as well as some<a
	href="http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/RC-Stats";>hints on how to
	interpret</a>  these numbers.</p>

Eeeeek!!! Thankfully, the number of RC bugs in wheezy is more like 937 for now (see http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc ). And the number remaining to be solved is more like 801. Yes, just that...