Re: Load on udd.d.o

Hi,

[Please note that this is my very personal opinion!]

On Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 10:06:11 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> >> But the main problem, anyway, is that samosa is a bit low on RAM (only 6
> >> GB), and a bit slow on I/O. In the long term, it would be useful to move
> >> UDD to a faster box...
> >
> > We probably don't have anything like that tho.
>
> Is this something that the publicity team could help with; putting out
> a call for donations like was done for snapshot.debian.org?

Throwing money/newer hardware on this will not help for something that is
literally broken by design. You can not expect, if everyone[1] can do any
SQL query on UDD, this will perform nicely. You will never be able to do
proper indexing for every possible query. Users are and ever will be
insane. If persons really want to do special queries, UDD offers the
SQL dump for download so they could run this on their local machine.

While investing in new hardware might make UDD a bit faster, it will
not solve the underlying problem and performance issues will either not
go away at all or return very quickly.

If Debian wants to invest some of its funds in renewing our gear there
probably are more important services to us and our users that could
benefit from new HW.  For instance putting bugs.debian.org on SSDs might
be a really nice idea.  Having it on machines covered by warranty would
certainly not be wrong either.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] who has an alioth account, which is easy to get.
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>  | Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer           |           Debian Listmaster