Re: Report from Med@Tel

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I would like to give a short report about my presence at Med@Tel in
> Luxembourg.  This conference for medicine informatics had some Open
> Source track and the organisers invited me to give an introduction about
> Debian Med.  The slides of my talk are available as well as the paper I
> submitted for the abstract book[1].  The audience were about 20 people
> somehow connected to some medical Open Source project and the talk was
> well received.  (For instance I've got a warm handshake: "Thanks for
> what you are doing" afterwards.)

Thanks for the report, I've added it to the TODO list for the next DPN
and bounced your mail to debian-publicity.

> What do you think about this and what other chances do you see to make
> use of social media to make the things we are doing right more popular?

A lot of the more popular social media in use today are at odds with
free software principles and the culture that surrounds the FLOSS
movement. Debian does have an official presence on identica (the
Twitter alternative) and I hope that once Diaspora/Appleseed/etc
(Facebook alternatives) become more widely used Debian would have an
official presence there. That said, our identica feeds are syndicated
to twitter and some Debian developers maintain an unofficial Debian
presence on Facebook.

http://identi.ca/debian
http://identi.ca/planetdebian

--