Mentioning package removals (was: Re: [Publicity-commits] r1400 - /dpn/en/current/index.wml)

Hi!

Am 24.01.2011 11:46, schrieb jeremiah-guest@users.alioth.debian.org:

> +# * Mention removal of packages in Wheezy? Or is that considered
> +#   non-news?

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean with that.

Would you like a list of packages in Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" compared to
Debian 5.0 "Lenny"?  That would be hard to create due do several
packages having been renamed (think of KDE 3.x -> KDE 4 migration).
Such a list would be interesting, but should IMHO be part of the release
notes.

Or would you like to see a list of packages, which got removed from the
testing branch (which is currently "squeeze" and will become "wheezy"
after the release of "squeeze"). (Which has been proposed recently in
the "google-earth" thread I missed to participate in [1].)

I'm not sure about that (see taffits mail about that).  Packages get
removed for various reasons, often to ease a transitions[2].  In these
cases announcing testing removals is IMHO quite pointless; actually...
Thinking about it, I find it hard to find an example, where it makes
sense (by causing a positve / productive reaction), so announce that a
package got removed from testing.

Best regards,
  Alexander

  1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2011/01/msg00005.html
  2: During library transitions it often happens, that package foo won't
migrate to testing, because that would render package bar uninstallable
in testing.  Therefore package bar is removed from testing, so that foo
may migrate to testing.  And later bar may migrate back to testing again.