Re: Debian Project News 2011/01 frozen. Please review and translate

On 2011-01-12 16:10, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

We just finished the last bits for the latest issue of the Debian
Project News to be release on Friday.  I would appreciate reviews and
translations.

Instructions can be found on http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews

Best Regards,
   Alexander
Thank you Alexander, here are my remarks:
The first release candidate of the installer for Debian Squeeze was<a
href="http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110113";>released
on January 12 2011</a>.
There should be a comma between "January 12" and "2011" (or just no 2011...).

Lars Wirzenius<a
href="http://lists.debian.org/1294581615.20273.71.camel@havelock.lan";>announced</a>
that<a hred="http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/";>Debian Enhancement
Proposal 5, specifing a machine-readable
format for the copyright information of a Debian package</a>, has reached
<q>candidate</q>  status, meaning that discussion about the format has been
settled and no major changes are expected anymore: it is ready to be
used.
s/specifing/specifying/

Mehdi
Dogguy</a>, who became a member of Debian's Release team even though he's
been a Debian Developer for barely a year
I personally wonder what the role of the "even though" is. Did the author think the release team is accepting people with too little experience? In my opinion, it's good to recruit more, this reduces the risk of manpower shortage.
In the spirit
of these interviews, there has also been a<q><a
href="http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/12/04/go2linux-interviewed-me-the-biggest-problem-of-debian/";>reverse
people behind Debian</a></q>  interview with<a
href="http://www.go2linux.org/linux/2010/12/interview-debian-developer-rapha-l-hertzog-ubuntu-beneficial-debian-853";>
Rapha&euml;l Herzog</a>.
s/Herzog/Hertzog/

Kumar Appaiah<a
href="http://www.debian-administration.org/users/kumanna/weblog/13";>noted</a>
that<a href="http://duckduckgo.com/";>DuckDuckGo</a>  has set up
some shortcuts (the so called !bang) for searching in various Debian sites:
<tt>!dpkg</tt>  goes to<a
goes to<a href="http://packages.qa.debian.org";>packages.qa.debian.org</a>, and
DuckDuckGo?... I think it would clarify to mention that DuckDuckGo is a search engine.

Sandro Tosi mentioned on his blog that<a
href="http://sandrotosi.blogspot.com/2010/12/bts-link-has-new-home.html";>bts-link
has a new home</a>. Several weeks ago, in fact,<a
href="http://bts-link.alioth.debian.org/";>bts-link</a>  was migrated from
merkel.debian.org to busoni.debian.org.
With all the respect due to bts-link, this item doesn't make it clear why this server move is newsworthy.

5 applicants have been
	as Debian Developers,
1 applicant has been
	as Debian Maintainer, and
12 people have<a href="http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi";>started
         to maintain packages</a>  since the previous issue of the Debian
	Project News. Please welcome
Didier Raboud, Benjamin Drung, K&aring;re Thor Olsen, Scott James Remnant, Jerome Marant,
Gregor Jasny,
Gildardo Adrian Maravilla Jacome, Cristian Henzel, Colin Darie, Anton Gladky, Lukas Gaertner, Yask Gupta, Michael Lustfield, Pjotr Prins, Monica Ramirez Arceda, Tim Weippert, Milan Kupcevic, and Sven Eckelmann
	into our project!
The way people are listed is odd. If people are welcomed to the Debian project when becoming DM-s and also when they prepare their first package, that means they're presumably being welcomed twice. For me, welcoming someone to the project means that person is new in the project, so you can't welcome twice. Also, is everyone starting to maintain packages in the list or is there a selection? For example, I wonder what would happen if I was to get into packaging, would I be "welcomed" to the project?...

I would suggest to congratulate or thank these people instead.
According to the<a href="http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi";>Bugs Search
         interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming release,
	Debian 6.0<q>Squeeze</q>, is currently affected by
93 release-critical bugs.
Let's not forget to do a last update here, it's already down to 66 :-)