Re: Working with UWN and DPN

CC'ing Debian Publicity because it looks like that might encourage greater collaboration.

On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:02, Amber Graner wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Jeremiah Foster
> <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>        My name is Jeremiah C. Foster. I am a volunteer in the Debian community working with the Debian Perl team and the Debian Publicity team. Debian Publicity is the team responsible for the Debian Project News (DPN). I wonder if you see areas of cooperation for our work and your work with the Ubuntu Weekly News. Perhaps we might find a way to co-ordinate our two news mailings and share stories and information? Perhaps there are stories we can do that are relevant to both groups?
>
> Excellent!  I have been looking in various places to see where
> cross-collaboration can occur and would love tackle some of this
> jointly.  In full disclosure I am not a developer but love FLOSS and
> the choice and freedoms using FLOSS gives the end user.

I am not a DD either, but one of the things I like about Debian is that
one can contribute a great deal without being a DD. I am working
towards becoming a DD however.

> I am really excited about seeing what we can come up with - I spoke to
> Stefano Zacchiroli at UDS and asked him how Ubuntu non-developers who
> wanted to get involved in the Debian project could do so.  It was a
> short but good start to a conversation (or at least I thought so).
> Many people who contribute to Ubuntu point to the fact we stand on the
> shoulders of giants and would like to know more about getting involved
> in those areas and what things are important to both groups.  I would
> really like to help point out some of those areas either through UWN,
> The Fridge, You-In-Ubuntu (ubuntu-user.com) as well as things that
> interest me on my personal blog.  I think we have some really awesome
> areas where cross collaboration can occur.

Definitely - and it is up to us to highlight those areas of cooperation and
get that work done.

> I'll publish Issue 206 today  - how about tomorrow of sometime during
> the week we figure out some hot even controversial areas that we can
> look at and start including?

Sure. I expect that there might be some additional input from people
on the Debian Publicity list. We tend not to be so controversial though,
most of the controversy happens on the mailing lists. :-)

> Thank you so much.  Let me know what areas are better for
> communicating with you  - IRC, email, phone or (skype  - I know people
> run screaming from the room at the mention of skype but that's easy
> for me as well).   Looking forward to partnering with you on this and
> seeing what all we can do together to drive both knowledge and
> contribution.

There is a lot of active discussion on this mailing list (debian-publicity)
you can sign up by surfing on by to http://lists.debian.org. I think there
are plenty of areas of collaboration and I'm sure our respective
communities will want to send messages to the other.

Warm regards,

Jeremiah