Re: Debian Project News 2010/16 frozen. Please review and translate

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Thank you Alexander, here are my remarks:
>
>> Rapha&euml;l Hertzog published an<a
>> href="http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/11/11/people-behind-debian-joey-hess-of-debhelper-fame/";>interview
>> with longterm Debian Developer Joey Hess
> "longterm" is not in the dictionary, this should probably read "longtime".

It's in some dictionaries (usually with a hyphen), but "long-time"
is probably more appropriate.  Ah, somebody fixed it before I could,
but missed the second occurrence a bit later - okay, let's make that
long-time too.

>> Although<a href="http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/";>Debian supported the
>> Motorola 680x0 processors</a>  from Debian 2.0
>> <q>Hamm</q>, support for that architecture was dropped with Debian 3.1
>> <q>Etch</q>  for various reasons.
> Debian 3.1 is Sarge, Etch is 4.0. From memory Sarge supported m68k.

And Wikipedia agrees with you, so s/3.1/4.0/.

> Regarding this item, it's not clear what the title "Revival of the m68k
> port?" means. Is this suggesting m68k could become again an official
> architecture? If yes, the blog post is a very weak suggestion of that.
> If not, the paragraph's content seems misleading.

(As usual I'm only implementing the ones where I don't need to wait
and see if other people have counterarguments.)

>> In a recent<a href="http://www.pro-linux.de/umfragen/2/27/welche-ist-die-wichtigste-distribution.html";>poll
>> by the German Pro-Linux Webzine</a>, Debian was named as the most important
>> Linux distribution by 47% of the participants.
> I'm not sure in English, but in French we would just say "Debian was
> named the most important...", without the "as".

In English both usages are possible, but the difference is roughly
that any voter can name somebody as the winner while only the
official adjudicator can name somebody the winner.  For this opinion
poll I'd say "name as".

>> According to the<a href="http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi";>Bugs Search
>>          interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming release,
>> 	Debian 6.0<q>Squeeze</q>, is currently affected by
>> 200 release-critical bugs.
> The number is currently 271.

The "details" link gives "Affecting Squeeze: 271; Squeeze only: 71;
Remaining to be fixed in Squeeze: 200".  It seems to me that the
source of confusion here is that "Squeeze" is ambiguous between "the
packages we currently have in testing" and "the packages we expect
to release in Debian 6.0".  Not that there's any good reason to give
theupcomingreleaseDebian6.0Squeeze a namecheck in every paragraph of
every issue of DPN!

Maybe we could say:

  According to the <a href="http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi";>Bugs
  Search interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming
  release is currently affected by 200 release-critical bugs.

Any better?
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
                   Uninngalaanngitsurviussanngilaq