Re: Package Ecofont for next release! [resolved]

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 18:10 +0100, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> Sendt: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 02:05:25 +0900
> Fra: Paul Wise
> > On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > > Just an idea I got after reading about Ecofont on GuardrianUnlimited earlier today. As a nice little publicity nicety, Debian could be the first distribution to ship with this new environmental friendly and printing cost reducing font.
> >
> > Too late to add new packages to lenny, it is in deep freeze.
>
> There is always a "next next release". :-)

aka 'squeeze'

> > > Learn more about the Ecofont at http://www.ecofont.eu/ecofont_en.html
> > >
> > > The font is licensed under GPL.
> >
> > I heard (in Freenode ##fonts) it was derived from DejaVu, which would
> > make this an illegal relicensing. I also heard that it is GPL +
> > restrictions, which would make it non-distributable even if the
> > relicensing was legit.
>
> The license document says "The Ecofont is distributed under GPL and based upon Bitstream Vera." It should be fine.

Where is this license document?

Anyway, the problem is the Bitstream Vera license being
GPL-incompatible.

The FAQ also mentions it is also based on Microsoft's Verdana, so who
knows where they have taken glyphs from and how legal it is.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise