Re: Debian popcon will soon pass 70 000 submissions

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> In not too many days, the number of debian popularity-contest
> submissions will pass 70 000.  Is this something worthy of an
> annoncement to the press?
>
> See <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/> for the current numbers.

"Debian announces it has 70,000 users" is not a headline I'd like to
see, and seems the likely result of a press announcement.

This is more accurate, but doesn't fit in a typical headline:
"Debian has an unknown number of users, but certianly a lot more than
70,000, since that many have taken manual action to be counted, while
other methods of counting show orders of magnitude more; nontheless,
the Debian project is pleased to see so many users stepping up to be
counted, although probably the increase is mostly due to our installer
having been changed to ask users if they want to be counted."

--
see shy jo