Re: Debian backed by HP (pr preview 6)

Hello,
I guess could be faster and suitable for colectively editing at the wiki
http://wiki.debian.org/presscoverage/PressReleasesPreviews
and to not clutter the inboxes.
Regards.
Andre Felipe Machado

The text at the wiki is reproduced  (copy and paste) below:

++++++++
Debian welcomes HP's support

Hewlett Packard announced ( [WWW]
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2006/060814a.html ) the addition of
Debian GNU/Linux as a supported Linux distribution. With this announcement, HP
is now the first major computer hardware vendor to officially support Debian
GNU / Linux.

Debian GNU / Linux is an active distribution maintained by more than 1400
volunteer official developers and many thousand contributors. Was the first
Linux distribution having a social contract ( [WWW]
http://www.debian.org/social_contract ), which ensures independence, clear
objectives, and configure itself as more than a Linux distribution, as a
Project, enabling even non Linux ports ( [WWW] http://www.debian.org/ports/ ).
The Debian Project developing and security approach, quality criteria and
stability makes its distribution a natural fit for mission critical use.

Debian Project welcome HP's hardware support since it has been a missing piece.

The support is offered worldwide for a range of its Proliant ( [WWW]
http://www.hp.com/products/proliant ) and BladeSystem ( [WWW]
http://www.hp.com/go/bladesystem ) server hardware as well as the new Debian
GNU / Linux customizable t5725 Thin Client product ( [WWW]
http://www.hp.com/products/thinclients ).

The new support services offering leverages the knowledge of 6500
professionals worldwide dedicated to open source, at the company that for the
four fiscal quarters ending April 30, 2006, had revenue totaling $88.9 billion.

HP already offered special support contract services ([WWW]
http://www.hp.com/linux ) for a customized Debian version for corporate
customers, mostly at telecom industry ( [WWW]
http://www.progeny.com/customers/hp.htm ).

HP and Debian Project

This is not the first time HP has shown appreciation for Debian GNU/Linux,
being involved with Debian Project since 1995. HP is a sponsor and colaborator
of Debian Project, donating hosting and bandwidth for various servers of the
project. Also, HP uses Debian GNU / Linux as a reference developer platform (
[WWW] http://opensource.hp.com/opensource_projects.html ) Already uses Debian
GNU / Linux in its print server devices and Network Attached Storage (NAS).

The CTO, Bdale Garbee, is a Debian Developer, and was elected Debian Project
Leader for a previous period ( [WWW]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders ) and in august
2006 was elected ( [WWW]
http://www.spi-inc.org/news-items/new-spi-board-of-directors-and-officers.html/
) volunteer board president of Software in the Public Interest, SPI ( [WWW]
http://www.spi-inc.org ) that is the legal face of the Debian Project.

Bruce Perens ( [WWW] http://www.perens.com ) was also an employee of HP (
[WWW] http://www.perens.com/Articles/Bio.html ) , and an elected Debian
Project Leader ( [WWW]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders) too and the
previous volunteer board president of SPI.

The HP open source team has good expertise already. In 2005, among 48,000 open
source support calls, only 180 were fowarded to upstream distributors or
developers.

Support for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution has been available from various
vendors on a case per case basis for a number of years yet. "I find it really
pleasing that companies are doing support for Debian not because we've
negotiated with them, but because customers are asking for it." said Debian
Project Leader Anthony Towns.

"It's interesting that vendors are seeing enough interest in Debian from their
customers to be specifically supporting it, whether on an specially negotiated
basis as IBM does, or now on a standard basis for entire product ranges as HP
is. " "I'm also pretty pleased that HP?s commitment to Debian support doesn't
come at a cost to the support they are offering for their other tier-one
distributions. To me, that is what free software's all about, friendly
competition that?s focussed on making people's computers work, not exclusive
deals and promotional rights." said Debian Project Leader Anthony Towns.

The announcement is generating media interest, as can be seen at [WWW]
http://wiki.debian.org/presscoverage .

About Debian

Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system, developed by more than a thousand
volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the Internet. Debian's
dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature, and its open development
model make it unique among GNU/Linux distributions.

The Debian project's key strengths are its volunteer base, its dedication to
the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide the best operating
system possible.

About HP

HP is a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and
institutions globally. The company's offerings span IT infrastructure, global
services, business and home computing, and imaging and printing. For the four
fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2006, HP revenue totaled $88.9 billion. More
information about HP (NYSE, Nasdaq: HPQ) is available at [WWW]
http://www.hp.com. HP also offers tested and supported enabling solutions that
leverage the company's 6,500 open source and Linux service professionals
worldwide. HP worldwide Linux products [WWW] http://www.hp.com/linux More
information on HP's open source and Linux offerings is available in an online
press kit at www.hp.com/go/linuxworld2006. HP open source projects at [WWW]
http://opensource.hp.com/opensource_projects.html Open Source and Linux from
HP at [WWW] http://opensource.hp.com/

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:19:37 +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote