Re: Debian backed by HP (pr preview 5)

Hi,

> = Debian welcomes HP's support =
>

> The new support services offering leverages the knowledge of 6500
> professionals worldwide dedicated to open source, at the company that
> for the
> four fiscal quarters ending April 30, 2006, had revenue totaling $88.9
> billion.

This is a press release from Debian, not HP; we'd like some
description of why Debian is valuable.  Thus we'd like some other way
of wording it. Revenue doesn't sound too relevant for Debian
announcement.

What we probably want to express in this third paragraph is:

1. Debian is an active distribution maintained by some 1000
   developers, and many more non-DD's

2. we welcome such hardware support since it has been a missing piece.

> HP already offered special support contract services
> (http://www.hp.com/linux
> ) for a customized Debian version for corporate customers, mostly at
> telecom
> industry ( http://www.progeny.com/customers/hp.htm ).
>

> == About Debian ==
>
> Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system, developed by more than a
> thousand
> volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the Internet.
> Debian's
> dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature, and its open
> development
> model make it unique among GNU/Linux distributions.
>
> The Debian project's key strengths are its volunteer base, its
> dedication to
> the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide the best
> operating
> system possible.
>

> == About HP ==
>
> HP is a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and
> institutions globally. The company?s offerings span IT infrastructure,
> global
> services, business and home computing, and imaging and printing. For the
> four
> fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2006, HP revenue totaled $88.9 billion.
> More
> information about HP (NYSE, Nasdaq: HPQ) is available at www.hp.com.
> HP also offers tested and supported enabling solutions that leverage the
> company?s 6,500 open source and Linux service professionals worldwide.
> HP worldwide Linux products http://www.hp.com/linux
> More information on HP?s open source and Linux offerings is available in
> an
> online press kit at www.hp.com/go/linuxworld2006.
> HP open source projects at
> http://opensource.hp.com/opensource_projects.html
> Open Source and Linux from HP at http://opensource.hp.com/

It's my opinion, but do we want a detailed company info in our
(Debian) press release? Looks a bit out-of-place. Is it copied from
another press release?

regards,
	junichi
--