Re: Have we considered a codename 'rolling' for testing before?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 04:39:50PM +0000, Martin Stadtler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am certain this has come up in the past, but have we considered adding
> the codename/label rolling to testing?  I have looked through the mail
> lists, with nothing jumping out recently.  I know I am not the only one
> that does use testing, at least in part for this reason.  Also, if there is
> a better debian mailing list for this subject, just let me know.

Interesting proposal all around -- just that /if/ there is a suite
in Debian you could call "rolling", then it's unstable, not testing.

Testing has those freeze phases, just before it becomes the "next
stable" -- with the corresponding rushes of instability just after.

The whole process is pretty well thought out and we Debian users
do appreciate it.

> 1.  Motivation:  Why? Because I had an eye-opening experience recently with
> a discord channel  'Linux on Asus ROG', where they essentially discouraged
> Debian outright.  Paraphrasing this a little: *Avoid using Ubuntu or
> distributions based on Ubuntu, such as Debian, on newer devices [...]

I would take this person's advice about Debian with a grain of salt
(or three), since they don't even seem to know that Ubuntu is based
on Debian (and not the other way around).

Actually Debian is, AFAIK, the living distro which has the most [1]
derivatives, so it seems to be doing one or two things right :-)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
--
tomás