Re: Permission to distribute

On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 01:00:46AM -0700, John Lee wrote:
> Hello Debian Team,
>
> I just wondered if I can sell computers that I build with Debian Linux
> pre-installed. The computers may also include programs I create. I tried to
> find the answer to this question but still unsure.

That's the whole point of Debian. If you stick to the "free" repo, you will
only have free software in it. So you are free to modify and redistribute
that software.

For software from the non-free repo, you'll have to look into its license
and possibly contact the vendor.

That said, each part has its own license. For some, e.g. GPL, you are not
allowed to restrict the recipient of that software to do the same.

Usually, packages install the relevant info in /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright.

HTH