Re: Have we considered a codename 'rolling' for testing before?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 04:39:50PM +0000, Martin Stadtler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am certain this has come up in the past, but have we considered adding
> the codename/label rolling to testing?
Hard to say, as things that are usually proposed, like ones listed on
https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseProposals, are about making some actual
workflow changes. But if your proposal implies telling end users to use
testing that's mostly https://wiki.debian.org/DropStableJustUseTesting.

> They do have a point, consider it a canary in the coal mine for other
> projects not recommending Debian.  If the perception of the wording
> 'testing' is scaring away many that would be open to a rolling version of
> Debian.
It's by design. Testing has several quite specific problems, at least some
of which directly impact end users. While the Debian release process
requires that at least some people use testing, it also implies that end
users shouldn't use testing and it requires that testing behaves
differently from a rolling distro.
There were proposals in the past, some even doing some actual work, to
make testing more useful for end users, and that's quite different from
simply renaming it.

> 3.  Motivation Behind the Proposal:
> * Enhanced Clarity and Appeal: The codename/label “Debian Rolling” is
> intended to provide clearer insight into the nature of the Testing branch
> for those unfamiliar with Debian's development cycle, potentially
> attracting users interested in a blend of stability and freshness in
> software.
That reduces clarity because that's not the nature of the Testing branch.
Are you maybe also unfamiliar with Debian's development cycle?

> 4. Alternative: Maybe just clearly stating that debian testing is used as a
> 'rolling release'
It is not.