Re: Lack of replies

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 03:54:28PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 05:10:43PM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > >At least people could be warned that because of the domain they send
> > >from their mail might not get through.
> > >
> > My guess is that such a warning email (which is the only way we'd have to
> > do it) would also cause a lot of complaints.
>
> > I think we [...] will need to have the BTS send all emails from
> > bugs.debian.org role addresses and not use the sender's email in From
> > anymore.
>
> Just to make sure I understand the constraints: we can determine at sending
> time whether a particular domain is going to cause trouble or not, right?
> If so could this rewrite scheme be applied only for recipients where it's
> absolutely necessary?

I haven't looked into this in a lot of detail, but my concern would be
that that would end up being flaky and confusing in practice.  I think
people want the behaviour of the BTS to be easily predictable without
having to get an advanced degree in MTA debugging first.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]