From: Michael Lustfield <michael@lustfield.net>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2023 6:12
To: Mathieu O'Neil <mathieu.oneil@anu.edu.au>
Cc: debian-project@lists.debian.org <debian-project@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Fresh thread - 2023 Debian Project survey: Sustainability

[You don't often get email from michael@lustfield.net. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

> From: Mathieu O'Neil <mathieu.oneil@anu.edu.au>
> [...]
> https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">

I'm sure there is sincere interest/effort behind this, so it's probably worth
sharing candid/open concerns/perceptions for a few of these questions.

> What is the name of the firm(s)/organisation(s) you work for?

(1) If you prefer to maintain anonymity, it would be helpful to phrase the
question in a way that ensures anonymous responses. Keep in mind that
individuals working in larger companies may feel comfortable sharing their
information, while those in smaller companies may choose to disregard this
question to maintain their anonymity. Considering privacy concerns, it is
possible that participants who value their privacy may choose not to continue
with the survey. Have you considered the potential impact on data accuracy if
some respondents choose not to answer? Is there a risk of skewing the results
towards participants who are willing to share their information? It's important
to avoid unintentional bias, similar to certain US political polls that adopt
questionable tactics.

In the future, consider checkboxes for industry type; avoid
self-identification responses unless relevant to the survey.

> Do you think the risk posed by predatory practices such as free-riding (entities benefiting from code development without contributing anything in return) to Debian's long-term sustainability is:

(2) When considering the risk presented by predatory practices, such as
free-riding, to Debian's long-term sustainability, it is important to ensure a
clear understanding of the term "free-riding" and its implications. This
question seems to provide a specific definition of free-riding and uses it as
an example of predatory practices. However, it may inadvertently imply that
free-riding is inherently detrimental to Debian. It is crucial to remember that
the question ultimately addresses the impact of predatory practices as a whole.

You may want to clarify if you believe every company utilizing open source
software is considered free-riding unless they contribute financially to every
volunteer or project involved. It is worth considering the potential
implication that end users are viewed as predators due to their use of FOSS in
their devices.

> Do you think the risk posed by predatory practices such as appropriation to FOSS's long-term sustainability is:

(2b) This is literally the first time I have heard of FOSS being implicated
with appropriation. I didn't even find anything that was in the same ballpark
after about a minute of search queries. I even asked AI and it struggled--are
you describing the act of a company repackaging an open source project as a
custom solution? Such as a company providing a "Managed IDS" which is really
just Snort with a tiny handful of their custom rules? or a company like
Tailscale offering solutions for wireguard?

> State/public support models to support volunteer work (e.g. granting of social rights to long-term contributors) need to be developed and implemented.

(3) Is this question seriously asking if it's the responsibility of government
to provide funding for volunteer-driven open source development? I hope I'm
misunderstanding that ... the implications are suited for a college-level
socioeconomics course.

> State/public models which provide financial support to everyone (e.g. Universal Basic Incomes or UBI) need to be developed and implemented.

(4) ... wait, are we still even talking about FOSS Sustainability?

> If an entity was shown by such a public campaign to be engaging in predatory practices such as free riding and/or appropriation, would that impact your willingness to work for them?

(5) This question seems to have a predetermined answer in mind, as it includes
a specific definition that could be used to manipulate the results. It is
similar to how politicians sometimes use tactics to distort poll outcomes to
support their own agenda.

There are countless recent examples, but the DHMO Study (dhmo.org) is close
enough, and much more entertaining to consider.

> How would you rate the proposal to prevent entities which engage in unsustainable environmental practices from using Debian, for example with a new "green open source licence"?

(6a) license* (6b) DFSG

> To what extent are you concerned about the environmental impact of FOSS?

(7) What you are looking to measure or compare? FOSS usage is vast, including
crypto mining, aerospace, pacemakers, cell phones, etc. How do compare FOSS
impact against closed (and other hybrid) source models?

> Section E: Demographics

(8) You really stressed anonymous, yeah? It doesn't matter if those fields are
optional; if you present it as anonymous, then don't ask for PII.

--
Michael Lustfield