Re: Aw: Re: Community renewal and project obsolescence

Le Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 01:14:29PM +0100, Steffen Möller a écrit :

> What hypothese do we have on what influences the number of active individuals?

When I was a kid I was playing with a lot of pirate copy of Amiga and
then PC games, and I had a bit of melancholy thinking that what appeared
to be golden days took place when I was still busy learning to walk and
speak.  I wondered if I was born too late.  Then I was introduced to
Linux and Debian.  That was a big thing, a big challenge for me to learn
it, and a big reward to be part of it.  At that time I never imagined
that the next big thing was diversity, inclusion and justice, but being
part of Debian unexpectedly connected me to it.  Now when I look back I
do not worry being born too late.  I would like to say to young people
that joining a thriving community is the best way to journey beyond
one's imagination.

Of course, we need to show how we are thriving.  On my wishlist for
2024, there is of course AI.  Can we have a DebGPT that will allow us to
interact with our mailing list archives using natural language?  Can
that DebGPT produce code that we know derives from a training set that
only includes works for which peole really consented that their
copyrights and licenses will be dissolved?  Can it be the single entry
point for our whole infrastructure?  I wish I could say "DebGPT, please
accept all these loongarch64 patches and upload the packages now", or
"DebGPT, update debian/copyright now and show me the diff".  I am not
able to develop DebGPT and confess I am not investing my time in
learning to do it.  But can we attract the people who want to tinker in
this direction?  Not because we are the best AI team, but because we are
one of the hearts of software freedom, and that freedom is deeply
connected to everybodys futures.

Well, it is too late for invoking Santa Claus, but this said, best
wishes for 2024 !

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med