Re: Upcoming EU Legislation (Cyber Resilience Act and Product Liability Directive)

On 2023-11-13 17:49:11 +0100 (+0100), Ilu wrote:
[...]
> I think SPI has limited possibilities to engage in these things
> due to their US non-profit status, but I don't know US law, so I'm
> not sure about that. From my point of view it would be better to
> join in with one of the European groups, like EDRI or OFE, but I
> don't know the internal workings of Debian well enough.
[...]

While SPI as an organization may not be able to directly lobby EU
legislators (in fact, the USA imposes restrictions limiting the ways
charities can engage in political lobbying even within the USA), EU
countries are also not the only ones working on upcoming
cybersecurity and software product safety regulations. SPI does work
with organizations based all around the World however, and
organizations within the EU may still take input and advice from
SPI, as well as rely on our public statements to help strengthen
their voices.
--
Jeremy Stanley