Re: Questionable Package Present in Debian - fortune-mod

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 04:51:39PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

> I keep trying to make the point that if people would just quote the
> specific darned fortunes that they have a problem with, we could focus
> this discussion immensely.

> But no one has, as yet, in either of these threads as far as I can
> recall, identified more than one objectionable fortune.

I pointed out in November that there were entire groups of fortunes within
the source package categorized (by filename) as racist, homophobic, and
misogynistic.  You appeared to agree[1] that fortunes deserving of such a
label were not appropriate to present to users.

You expressed an interest in adopting the package to restore the
fortunes-off binary package, in cleaned up form.

Exactly nine months have passed, and nothing has changed.  The package is
unmaintained.  No one has stepped forward to provide editorial oversight of
the fortunes files.

Instead, we're back here again arguing about whether it's *acceptable* for
Debian to drop contents from the archive that no one wants to maintain, and
you're trying to push the burden of proof on those who stand for the
principle that we shouldn't ship content that promotes bigotry and
discrimination against people of marginalized identities.

Some of us have moved on from Debian as a debate club.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2022/11/msg00056.html