Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

On 08/04/22 20:35, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
Hi

it just occurred to me that despite the climate crisis about to
destroy us all we don't really have anything in place to monitor
and reduce our carbon emissions.

I believe we need to commit ourselves to reducing this

in Italian user list we have discussed this topic from another point of view: program language used and how it is used.

Starting from this 2017 study
https://greenlab.di.uminho.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/sleFinal.pdf

you can see that you can consume more or less energy depending of the program language selected for implementing a program.

In the study, in 2017, they have found that in the test program you consume:
1.00 C
1.03 Rust
1.34 C++
1.70 Ada
1.98 Java
2.14 Pascal
2.18 Chapel
2.27 Lisp
2.40 Ocalm
2.52 Fortran
3.14 C#
3.23 Go
4.45 JavaScript
21.50 TypeScript
29.30 PHP
46.54 JRuby
69.91 Ruby
75.88 Python
79.58 Perl

so a program in Perl consume 79.58 time energy that the same program in C. Naturally the program must be written in the same "way".

Rewriting a program in another language can be a very bad solution... probably some part of the program can be written in another program language that use less energy... but also this can be a bad solution.

Rewriting a program that is used only few second, that is executed sporadically and is written in Perl is a non sense because don't reduce energy usage too much and the effort, to do that, can be too much.

If you go to the university site you can see that there are a lot of article and study:
https://greenlab.di.uminho.pt/

for example they have taken some app and modified the source to consume less energy, gaining about 40% of energy reduction.

In the tools section
https://github.com/greensoftwarelab/Energy-Languages

there is also a sonarcube plugin to calculate programs energy debt.

I think that this can be a better solution: have something that calculate the energy debt of all programs and a number that indicate the average usage in a machine to calculate how much energy per server/desktop he can consume less.

Also: Datacenter consume about 1% of all our planet energy
https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/global-data-centre-energy-demand-by-data-centre-type-2010-2022
https://www.iea.org/reports/data-centres-and-data-transmission-networks

Also: KDE Eco - Building Energy-Efficient Free Software
where German Environment Agency give a released the award criteria for obtaining eco-certification with the Blauer Engel label for desktop software
https://eco.kde.org/

So, I think that if Debian must think about climate change, probably it must be focused on energy efficiency to gain more results.

Ciao
Davide
--
Database: http://www.postgresql.org