Re: Rethink about who we (Debian) are in rapid dev cycle of deep learning

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:07:05PM +0100, Davide Prina wrote:
> On 13/01/22 01:00, M. Zhou wrote:
>
> > Cool and useful stuff keeps emerging -- e.g., Facial Authentication for Linux
> >    https://github.com/boltgolt/howdy
>
> note that EU (European Union) Privacy is managed by the GDPR Regulation and
> the ePrivacy Directive.
> The Directive will be replaced by the ePrivacy Regulation that will have
> more strict rules (probably this will be approved this year).

As far as I understand the GDPR won't restrict the tech itself, but only
its use. Which makes sense. Basically, no consent => no use, except in
very restricted scenarios (e.g. public security).

That said, to have a workable face recognition, you'll need a training
set (at least with current "solutions"), so you'll have to collect
consent from all those face "providers".

All the above said, I'm not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV :)

Cheers