Re: Apt feature request / suggestion

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 10:54 -0700, xaq xaq wrote:

> Hi, how do I submit a suggestion to the Apt team? I've tried to
> register on their website (https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt).

You can report a bug via the Debian BTS:

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

> - Have an option to ignore failures in any source.list file.
>   This will allow updates of security repos to proceed.

This makes it sound like you need to update your apt sources for the
changes to the security archive that happened in Debian bullseye:

https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#security-archive

> - Have Apt not proceed with install if available space is less than
> estimated install space. Especially since --fix-broken-install
> usually requires more space to resolve this.

Until the apt developers implement this, it might be possible to add a
hook script added to the DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs option in apt.conf.

It might be hard to write such a script. The apt-listbugs package is
probably the best example of how to process the hook script input.

https://sources.debian.org/src/apt-listbugs/0.1.36/10apt-listbugs/
https://sources.debian.org/src/apt-listbugs/0.1.36/bin/apt-listbugs/#L455

Documentation on DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs is in the apt.conf manual page:

https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/apt/apt.conf.5.en.html#HOW_APT_CALLS_DPKG(1)

--
bye,
pabs