Salsa call for volunteers (was: Salsa upgrade, history and future)

On 16425 March 1977, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

you may have noticed that we had a bit of a downtime with Salsa
recently. What follows is a short summary on how it came to be, why it
took so long, and a bit about the future of Salsa.

As I got a *huge* flamewar out of this with exactly 0 responses (hello,
you all sleeping?) - in all that silence you may have missed one point in
that longish mail, due to the boring subject I used: We are looking for
volunteers to help out with Salsa.

Want to help?
If you are a Debian Developer[1] and interested to help us maintain the Salsa service, including possibly digging into the "bits below" directly on the machine to make it better for the users, better to maintain, and
in general just keep one huge git forge running, please feel free to
mail us at salsa-admin@debian.org. We also hang out in #salsa on
irc.oftc.net, though that is mainly one of our public support channels.

[1] Sorry for that requirement, but with Salsa Admin being a delegated
role, volunteers have to be members. Additionally, Salsa hosts a huge
bunch of Debian repos, some of them not available to the public, but
Salsa admin can see them, so we require admins to be DDs.

Just for reference, the size of this installation:

Before we get to the final point, some statistics about Salsa: Salsa
currently hosts 58125 projects for 10930 users over 665 groups. It has
seen 15527 Forks, 36650 merge requests, 302133 notes. Salsa knows of
5789 SSH keys and users created 9425 issues. A total of 342812 pipelines
has been run, of which 226575 have been successful, 101198 failed, the
rest got either cancelled or skipped.

Salsa is running inside a virtual machine with 8 CPU cores, 32G of
available RAM and uses about 1.6TB of space for the git repositories.
Gitlabs background job system "Sidekiq" claims it has processed 68917652
background jobs, of which it declared only 84587 as failed.

And we are growing - since I wrote this, we now got to 58538 projects,
10950 users, 21583 forks and 36689 MRs.

We are installing Gitlab from source using ansible (see
https://salsa.debian.org/salsa/salsa-ansible ) and do have some own
tools on top of the usual Gitlab stack. And with Gitlab being originally
Ruby it has parts rewritten in go, so knowledge of ansible and ability
to dig around in ruby/go may help you around (we do try to stay as near
to upstream as possible, huge patches aren't maintainable, but sometimes
it helps to find problems).

--
bye, Joerg