Re: Survey proposal about the usage of money in Debian

Hello,

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> To this end we are currently preparing a survey. We expect to use
> surveys.debian.net (Limesurvey) to generate private links that can be sent
> to each Debian developer. (This is so that only Debian developers can fill
> out the survey.) Once the survey has concluded, collated statistics will be
> shared publicly with the Debian community; individual responses will
> naturally be kept private.

Nobody reacted to this part but we got some feedback that some Debian
developers will be surprised to receive a survey directly in their inbox
instead of through some mailing lists, so after discussion with the Debian
project leader, we decided to change our approach to switch to something
opt-in.

We will share a public link to the survey on debian-devel-announce and any
participant will have to enter their debian.org email to receive the
private link to fill the survey. We will send two reminders on
debian-devel-announce with at least one week between each reminder.

Before analysing the result, we will discard any answer coming from a
non-debian.org email (or from an email that we can't map to a DD through
analysis of the Debian keyring). We will also exclude answers from non-DD
that do have a debian.org email (although their inclusion would likely
have no significant impact from a statistical point of view).

We also plan to add a question “Do you want to be included by default in
future Debian-related surveys?" to start building a GDPR-compliant
database of Debian developers that accept to be contacted directly to
answers surveys in support of work made by other Debian developers.

If you see any issue with this approach, please let us know.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog