Re: Working for Linux/Debian

Quoting Agata Erminia Pennisi (2021-08-06 23:56:10)
> *Red pill r*efers to (becoming enlightened to) the truth about
> reality, especially a truth that is difficult to accept or exposes
> disillusions.

Funny you should emphasize redpill in the context of how to make a
living off of Free software, because it is at the heart of my work.

My use of the term is summarized here¹:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190811015333/http://support.redpill.dk/redpill/

In my use, a "Redpill" is a standardized way of sharing ICT resources
across multiple organisations, without the need for sharing secrets
(access codes or content).

It grew from my strong interest in long-term sustainability of my work.
When at the beginning working independently I mostly did tuning of
desktop/laptop systems, I realized that it became quite repetitive for
me, without being easy to codify the steps I made.  I noticed the same
when moving to maintaining servers and networks, and wanted to try
standardize some of the structures, in a modular way to still serve each
client uniquely yet do so with reusable components.

My first steady client paying me a monthly subscription fee (established
after 1-2 years of charging by the hour) was a small business
university, but also a related business consultancy firm and a small
team of volunteer activism consultants in their backyard.  I developed a
computer setup for them all, called "Homebase", and slowly generalized
that into something reusable for other groups of organizations - called
"Redpill".

Now, 25 years later, Homebase still exists (see the dusty documentation
at https://support.homebase.dk/ and a newer draft at
https://docs.homebase.dk/ ) but the business university recently decided
to switch to a Microsoft solution so its future is uncertain.

One other experimental Redpill exists, consisting of my own network also
used by my life partner in her business as a graphics designer using
purely Free software, a server run by another Debian developer and
friend of mine, and another friend of mine in couple of his projects on
ICT education and eco activism in Germany.

My hope is to introduce redpill as packages in Debian, but I am not
quite there yet.  If anyone wants to help, please to get in touch :-)

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

¹ I reference an archive.org snapshot both because that main web page
(which is also what you would be redirected to if you went to
https://redpill.dk/ ) is not currently online, and because it might
interest you for how long that web page has existed.